Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Faith

I like most fantasy fiction books. One of the authors I read is Philip Pullman. He's a proclaimed atheist. Now I don't mind that - he can have done all the research he wanted to do and come to the conclusion that God doesn't exist - that's entirely up to him. But what gets on my nerves is when he tries to propagate his belief through his books, especially since, I'm sure he's aware, they're read by children; and by children who would otherwise have ignored it, if it wasn't the opinion of the hero they had been idolizing from the beginning of the book.

Here's another thing about faith, which differs from religion - unlike religion, which varies from community to community, faith varies for each individual. This, I think, is good. Because you can't wage holy wars if each of us have a different opinion.
But what I don't like is other people telling me how to pray, or how to see God. It's understandable that we have to go through the rituals to maintain communal or societal harmony and unity, but it's not fair when someone tells me that the way I see the Almighty is wrong. I like the way I see God. It's why I see Him that way.

As my dad always loves saying, "Live and let live. To each his own Faith."

1 comment:

  1. I maybe wrong but since most kids are brought up as believers these days,isn't it better to show them both sides of the coin,let them know that they have another option and let them choose whatever appeals more to their rationale?So maybe we need authors like pullman more than ever.

    ReplyDelete