Thursday, August 18, 2011

Floppy

No, not outdated hardware. I'm talking about my dog.

You know when you've had a particularly lousy day at your educational institution/workplace, where everyone's been eagerly telling you all day, how the class/company would prosper, if only you'd get up and leave; and all you need's a pick-me-up? Well, Floppy's my pick-me-up. When I feel like I've lost all confidence in myself (a feeling that recurs every 15 mins or so), i just walk up to my dog, and she looks at me like I'm Christmas come early. The loyalty, trust and idolization that emanates out of your dog is physically staggering! And the best part is, she loves you for who you are! Not for the I've-got-it-all-together-all-the-time diva you pretend to be everywhere else.

And it's not just her being all cute. Oh no, if you know Floppy, you know that she is almost always thinking of ways to eat that fern or chase that toad without your noticing it. No, it's sometimes her helplessness that makes me feel good about myself. Like yesterday, when we were going into my grandmother's Forbidden Garden (which has a fence around it. Floppy's been ban
ned from there ever since she decided roses were better than bones). I would usually
just carry Floppy over the fence, but that day I wanted to see if Floppy could jump at least over that knee-high fence. She saw my brother and I go in, and started to follow. She, well, flopped, half-way over it, and then decided she didn't want
to do that. Which is when she realized that a fence poking into your hind quarters isn't exactly fun. So she started whining until I ran and picked her up over the fence and into the Garden, where she stopped crying instantly, and ran to the nearest bush. But that's Floppy.

There goes my little drop of sunshine with...is that a rose?? Floppy, get back here, you nitwit!!

No comments:

Post a Comment