Monday, August 15, 2011

Indian Nationality

Here's the problem with an Indian's respect for nationality - there isn't one. I know this because I went through that adolescent phase convinced that Gandhi was a mere picture held up by corrupt politicians to disguise what they were doing. It took the movie, Gandhi (ironically made by Westerners) and a bit of research, for me to realize his greatness.
The difference between an Indian's sense of nationality and that of say, an American's, is that in America, national pride has been built up just as you would the brand of a new product. The red, white and blue flag has always been waving in the backgrounds of their movies and all their politicians (whether reel or real) speak about the country's essential 'oneness'. We don't have that here. Here, Bollywood movies are meant for North Indians, and South Indians have their own movies. There is no convergence. Hence, we see that in society as well : a differentiation between the people of one country. What we need is the building of a brand image, and the brand we should be able to sell is pride in our heritage.

1 comment:

  1. I'd just like to say,at the beginning of my blog itself, that I'm aware that most of you would know the things I'm saying : I just want to say it anyway :)

    ReplyDelete